Thursday, October 1, 2015

Dealing with the Terrible Two's

Well it finally happened. My awesome little man turned 2 years old and right on schedule he started acting up.  It used to be no big deal like crying when we had to stop playing, but that was easy to deal with.
  Now it's not just crying. He has learned how to stomp his feet and yell when he is told to stop doing something. Combined with crying it can be quite embarrassing.  I've been thankful that I haven't had a big episode in public, but I know it's coming.
  That's not the worst of it.  He has started to not listen when we tell him to do something. For example when it is time for bed and we ask him to clean up his toys, he bows his head and says "No no no no."  It's honestly adorable, but then when we ask him again he turns his back to us with the same, "No no no no." I know this is him putting up a stand that he doesn't want to do what he is told. Showing his personality and defiance to the rules.  I honestly feel pride and joy at this when I see it. I know he is a fighter and has a strong will.
  It really doesn't bother me, but I have seen first hand what happens when you don't enforce the rules to a child.  I'm not saying you need to be a drill sergeant, but showing a strong front is necessary.  Also trying not to your temper is really hard.  I admit that there have been a few times when he has just pushed my buttons and I'm at the end of my rope. I do the one thing I shouldn't ever do. I yell at him.  I yell at my two year old son...  I instantly regret it, and of course I have scared my son and he starts crying.
  I love him so much and I absolutly hate showing that side of myself to my son.  I want him to be happy and enjoy this age, but at the same time I know that I need to show that I am not someone he can ignore or blow off. I have to be a parent.
 Crazy thing for me is actually admitting that.  I'm about to turn 40 years old and I am a father.  If you had asked me about this when I was a 13, you would have heard a much different response.  Which is why this age is so important not just for kids but parents as well. It's fine to make your kid happy, but you also have to keep them safe.
   The only way to do that is to make sure your child knows that Mommy and Daddy make the rules.  No argument. You are the parent. That means you have to keep your child safe.  That means when you say "No", the child listens.  Whether it be playing in the dirt, throwing wood-chips at the park or crossing the street.  You can always find another way to have fun with them and keep them safe, but you have to be a parent first and a friend second.  I know it is a hard choice to make. Believe me I know,  but I want my son to be safe and happy, not just happy.
  And just to be clear I live in a cul-de-sac, next to a park, which is right next to a freight-train line. NO FENCE between the park and the train tracks. So I am taking no chances with his safety,  I am the parent first and the friend second.  When I say "No,"  I want him to stop, realize that I am his parent and he needs to listen.
 What makes it even harder is that this is only the first of many changes that will be happening as he grows up.  I wish it was going to take longer, but time waits for no man, especially a loving father.

No comments:

Post a Comment